This section offers a concise introduction to the world of gold bars.
It is designed to assist new industry participants and interested members of the public to quickly obtain a basic understanding.
Each sub-section is well illustrated with photographs.
BASIC INFORMATION – About Gold Bars
- Buying and Selling Gold Bars – (PDF 145kb)
A guide and checklist for new investors.
- Accredited Gold Bar Manufacturers – (PDF 147kb)
125 approved refiners and brands listed by associations and exchanges.
- Gold Conversion Tables – (PDF 57kb)
For gram, troy ounce, tola, tael, baht and other units of weight.
- Definitions: Bar Types – (PDF 93kb)
Cast, minted, unwrought, investment and ornamental bars.
- Bar Weights & Purities – (PDF 104kb)
More than 50 different weights and several purities available.
- London Good Delivery Bars – (PDF 138kb)
Historical background, distinctive features and bar specifications.
- Kilobars – (PDF 177kb)
Typical specifications and regional preferences.
- Smaller Cast Bars – (PDF 145kb)
Refers to smaller cast bars in gram, troy ounce, tola, tael and baht weights.
- Minted Bars – (PDF 180kb)
Refers to minted bars in gram, troy ounce, tola, tael and baht weights.
- Diverse Range of Gold Investment Bars – (PDF 112kb)
Standard and unusual bars are grouped into 46 categories.
- Gold Associations & Exchanges – (PDF 140kb)
Refers to “good delivery” bars for the settlement of transactions.
- Categories of Gold Bars – (PDF 273kb)
Concise information on 55 categories.
- How Cast Bars are Manufactured – (PDF 171kb)
Manufacturing large, small and flat cast bars.
- Gold Bullion Coins – An International Guide – (PDF 373kb)
Summary information for gold investors.
- Gold Publications by Nigel Desebrock
Five books can be downloaded for personal reference.
In recent years, there has been a surge in demand internationally for gold investment bars.
The Industry Collection of Gold Bars Worldwide was founded in 1993 by N.M. Rothschild & Sons (Australia) Limited as the Custodian and Grendon International Research Pty Ltd (GIR) as the Curator to support the promotion of gold worldwide.
It is the world’s largest collection of gold bars.
Offering easy access to more than 1,000 different bars, it has been the source of hundreds of high quality photographs for inclusion in GIR books and on www.goldbarsworldwide.com
The Perth Mint acted as the Custodian from 2005 until 2013.
In 2013, GIR arranged the sale of the Collection to Degussa Goldhandel GmbH, which is planning to construct a gold museum in Frankfurt.
To obtain further information and access a
5-minute video, click here.